Food Truck 5k - Aug Edition

 I was back in Kings Mt last Friday night for their final Food Truck 5k. Hard for me to believe that I signed up for this series in January. Seems like years ago. 

This was the final race in the 4 race series. The weather was bit better with the high in the upper 80s and less humidity. 

Several of us started together but the hills quickly strung us out. I was in 3rd place upon topping out. Robert and another younger guy were ahead of me. Robert was looking strong but I thought based on the distance between us that the 2nd place guy was coming back to me. 

After the turn around, I started making better gains on him. I passed him just before we got to the first long downhill. I wanted to be front to control my line in to the downhill section. 

I was charging the downhill but this guy made a monster move by me. I wondered if this was a power move or an exhaustion move. He opened about 20 yards on me in this one section. 

Once it flattened out, I started pulling him back. By the time that we topped the next hill I was moving back in front of him. He then stayed just a step behind me until we got to the last long hill before the finish. About 1/2 way up the hill, I thought that I heard him struggling. Even though I was hurting, I went all end. I wanted to avoid an all out sprint to the finish. I created just enough of a gap to get myself to the finish ahead of him.

I finished 2nd overall in 20:23 in the race, and I also finished 2nd overall in the Food Truck series. I scored a super nice mug with race logo on it. 

I rather enjoyed these Friday night races. Makes for a nice way to start the weekend. I just wish that afterward, I could eat. Those food trucks smell really nice, but I knew my tummy. It doesn't handle eating right after a race. 

Kudos out to the guys that organized these races. They were all well run with timely results. 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts