WWC River Jam 5k - July Edition

 The sun was cranking out some serious heat on Thursday evening. I guess summer has officially arrived. I was dripping with sweat walking over to pickup my race bib. 

Between the runners and Mt. bikers, this WWC River Jam event was packed with people. 

The Mt. bikers headed out first followed by those of us in the trail races. 

My plan is to be a bit more conservative in the opening miles for a couple of reasons. First, I raced last night so my body already has had one heat stress workout in it. Now, I am stacking a 2nd one just 24 hours later. Second, it is really hot. I needed to conserve my heart rate until later in the race. 

I found myself behind a few more runners as we entered the woods. As we working down to pick up the South Main trail, this one runner comes through passing runners like a bull in a china shop. I am nearly bounced out of the trail. 

We get down the flat section along the river, and this guy is holding up a line of us. I am just shaking my head. Once we pass by the Carpet trail entrance, the South Main trail opens up. We start streaming by him. I never see him afterwards. 

I am sticking to my plan, and it seems to be working. Guys are not really ready for this heat, and their hard early pace is starting to wear on them. Passing by Weigh Station trail entrance, I am still passing runners. Their faces are seriously red. 

The wind is out the west. Meaning, it is at our backs. I cannot feel any relief. 

Coming out the wood, I head across the parking and around the channel to the finish. My quads were starting to revolt. They had taking as much as the can stand. Luckily, I was closing in on the finish line. 

Nothing looked sweeter as I rounded the bend and saw those to WWC finish flags. 

I finished in 26:23 for 3rd overall and 1st in my age group. Given the heat and back to back races, I was super happy to be within 20 seconds of my time from June. 

Two more races are in this series. I am hoping to place in the top 3 overall for the series awards. At the moment, I am in 3rd place. I have more work to do to hang on to it. 

The Cool Down Runner 

Comments

Popular Posts