WWC River Jam - Jun '23 Edition

 I don't do may back to back races since my recovery seems to take longer and longer. I didn't realize that this was the backside of a double header when I registered. However, once it, I couldn't back out. 

The weather was a bit warmer than in May but definitely still not June like temperatures. The trails were dry considering that the rain came through the previous night. 

They sent off the cyclist first. A few minutes later, I headed out with wave 1. I realized right from the start that my legs didn't have it. They were turning over but not with any real intensity. As we dropped down in to the woods, I found myself in pack of runners. Some of them must have been new or at least newer to trail running. They were quickly realizing that it isn't quite as easy to run the trails with the same intensity as the nice wide gravel path that got us there. I spent the better part of the next mile working my way through them. There was lot of pardon me, excused me, and on your left. I finally got clear of everyone by the time we past by the Weigh Station side trail. 

With no one in sight, I focused on getting in some nice quick strides. Before I even realized it; I was coming out in the parking lot and turning left to head toward the finish. Attendance must have been up this month because the parking lot was full but there was  line of cars that I had to cross through. I pounded my way up the last steep little hill and headed off around the channel to the finish. 

Lots of families were out walking so there was plenty weaving in and out on my way to the line. 

I crossed in 26:04 which put me 4 OA and first in my AG. When I looked back at the break down for this race, I realized that I had gone out nearly 30 seconds slower during the first mile than in May. However, miles 2 & 3 were slightly faster. I ended being faster overall than in May because I closed at 6:20 pace vs the 6:40ish pace from last month. I will have to give this some more thought and see what conclusions that I can draw from it. 

'til the next race have a good one, 

The Cool Down Runner 

Comments

Popular Posts