WWC Memorial Day 5 Miler

 I was looking at my results over the last month, and I realized that I have run a race every 7 days since this first of this month. I finished off this month with the WWC Memorial Day Trail Race. This year, I opted for the 5 miler. I decided to drop down in distance because I liked this particular course. 

Plus, what's not to like. The temperature was in the mid to upper 50s this morning. I don't recall a Memorial Day this cold in a while. 

The races started at the Pavilion, and they rounded the channel heading over to the entrance of Academy. Everyone was flying as the first 1/2 mile is downhill. However, I like this because it really stretches out the field before we enter the trails. That's exactly what happened this morning. 

I felt like I was running hard but I couldn't keep up with the guys running around me. They just seemed to have another gear which I couldn't find. 

They slowly pulled away from me over the back half of Academy. During this stretch, my right foot caught on either a rock or root sending me into the dirt. I was back up and running in an instance. Maybe half mile later or so, I noticed that my palms were numb. Not just numb but red. My right palm was oozing blood. This goes along with my right knee which was scrapped up pretty bad and oozing blood as well. In true runner fashion, I kept pushing forward. I was still shaking out my hands as I rounded the channel heading back to the finish. 

Setting aside the bloody fall, I had fun. I finished 4 OA. I won my age group in 40:24. Now, I plan to set back and watch it rain the rest of the week. Maybe getting in another run or two between the rain drops. 

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts