Wild Vine 5k

 The Wild Vine race at the Whitewater Center is one of my favorite races but not for the course. The coarse pretty much changes every year. No, I love doing this race because I love the logo that they put on the shirts. Keeps me coming back. 

With the cooler day of fall here, I was looking forward to a cool and crisp morning race. Yet, I found myself looking at an overcast threaten morning skies. In fact, I drove through some rain on the way to this race. 

I abandoned my singlet before heading to the starting line. It was this warm. I watched as the 1/2 marathoners headed off in their race. Then, we lined up for the 5k. Smokes, did those guys go out fast. At from my perspective, they went out fast. I felt like I had weights in my shoes. 

Once we hit the tricky trails, things evened out out. I was doing my best to run strong. I lost some on Carpet, and I overshot a turn coming off of Tower. Going up the fire-road one runner roared by me. I closed back up once we topped the hill and then made my move past him when we were back on South Main. 

From then, I ran as hard as I could. All of the recent memories of being caught at the finish line lingered rather largely in the back of my mind. I kept glancing over my shoulder. This time, however, I was not to be caught. 

I am rather happy with my 23:51 and 8th overall finish. 

Driving out the WWC, I felt bad the 1/2 marathoners. The rain had started to pour. At the point where I saw them they still had plenty to run. From the looks of it, those were going to be some very rain soaked muddy miles. 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts