Shot in the Dark 10k

Last Friday night, I headed for the WWC's Shot in the Dark 5k/10k races. I was running the 10k of course. Once the sun set, it got real chilly real fast. If I didn't keep moving, the cold started to creep in. 

Everyone started together right at 6pm. Head lights were flashing in all directions once we entered the trails. I thought most of the guys in front of me were in the 5k. Turns out, I was wrong. Most of them were in the 10k. I figured this part out once we were finishing up South Main. I could glance over and see the head lamps already heading around out on the Lake Loop. That's how it goes some times. Still it was fun to get in some night time trail running. 

Afterwards, the awards came fast. I am guessing everyone wanted to be some place warmer. We started at 6 pm. By 7:30, they were doing the awards, and by 8:15, I was back home. The evening seemed to blur by. 

You know. I have run at the WWC for a number of years. I have run too many to count races there. Friday is the first time that I known them to blow the leaves off of the trails. Mind you, I am not complaining at all. In fact, I loved it. I saw roots and rocks that I have never seen before. Mostly because they were covered by a nice bed of pine needs. But having a clean trail is great for running at night. I think all of us runners were very appreciative of it.

If you have not been out WWC since the skating rink has gone up, you need to make a visit. Check out the trail loop behind it. There they have these huge blow-up ornaments suspended from the trail. Kind of cool. We could see them from one side during the start of our race but it was at a distance. I am planning to head back one evening to see them from underneath. 

Have great holiday week,

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts