Frigid 10k

 This morning, I ran the Frigid 10k at the WWC, and sorry to disappoint but I did not take advantage of their artic plunge option. Last year, I had the full emersion experience so with that box checked I didn't see the need to repeat it. Besides, I wanted to get in another 10 miles after the race so getting soaked and cold didn't seem like the best of ideas.

The wind was blowing as we stood around waiting at the start. I was wearing just a singlet so I definitely feeling a bit under dressed.

But once I started running, I warmed up and felt fine during the race. I heard that they had nearly 900 runners for this years event. I can confirm that it was a crowded start. 

Everyone was putting on the push before entering the trails as we ran around the channel. Then, everyone realized just how slick the trails really were. Runners were going off in every direction trying to stay up right. 

A few runners somehow missed all the signs and started down the North Main trail instead of going on to Figure 8. Thomas was coming down through the woods yelling wrong way to help get them back on track. 

I wore my Hoka Evo. They do a pretty good job gripping the trail but they can only do so much after all all the rain from the last 3 days. 

I found myself in with several other runners. I picked my spots to pass but there isn't a lot of them, and they were running fast enough that I couldn't really force the issue. 

Once we got on to Academy, I was expecting things to string out. However, that's not how it played out. We all stayed pretty well packed up. 

On the back side of Academy, the course flattens out so I used this opportunity to open up some ground on the guys behind me. I knew with my thigh still at about 70% that I wasn't to going to be able to out leg these guys on the run back around the channel.  I need to push were I could. One of the guys hung on well and got me coming to to the finish. 

My ankle has improved a lot in the last 3 weeks. I could lean on it a lot more in the turns. My knee and thigh are also improving but I still have a ways to go. When I running along easily, it is barely noticeable. However, when I start to lift the pace and push off on the mid-foot, here I can really notice it. My hope is that the next 3 weeks will continue the improvement that I have seen in the last 3 weeks. 

Keeping my fingers crossed,


Cool Down Runner

 

Comments

Popular Posts