Tower Repeats

My right quad has been feeling better and better. After running 31 miles on Saturday, I decided to test it i.e. push it a little harder by running repeats on the Tower Trail at Crowders Mt. While yes, it has been feeling better, I did notice some tightness during the race. Continually rubbing my quad seemed to do the trick and keep me running. 

Monday, I started up the gravel road on Tower Trail. I was still a bit stiff and somewhat sore from Saturday. I hoped that once I was moving, all would be right. 

I let the climbing flow under my feet. One of the things that I have noticed is when I push really hard, my knee shows its displeasure. Taking the climb easy seemed to be a better course of action. I could endure the stress of climbing without enduring the hard snapping action by the knee while running fast. 

I climbed the first lap. I could feel it just a bit. By the time that I returned to the parking lot all was well. The second lap was equally the same. I only noticed it on the steepest sections but nothing produced anything more than some mild discomfort. The third and final trip to the top, I noticed the tightness a bit more. This was mainly during the last quarter mile to the top. Once I turned around and started down, the knee was back to normal. 

I was really happy with how this workout went so I am probably going to grab a few more weekends of this before I start my 100 miler taper. 

This round of training will have been easiest that I probably ever done for a 100 miler. That could be either a bad thing, and I get crushed during the last half of the race, or it could be a good thing, and my legs will experience a freshness that they have not known. Trouble with this is that I will not know the answer until about the 100k mark. Wish me luck. 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts