MRT 50k Recap

 This morning, I was in Statesville, NC to run the MRT 50k at the Statesville Soccer Complex. The MRT guys put on an interesting race/races. They setup a 5k course and the allow runners to a race every distance from 5k to 50k. I of course was running the 50k.

Jamie came up to join me for this run. We spent the next 4 hours 22 minutes and 36 seconds chatting. It makes race go back a lot faster when my focus is on something other than my effort. 

The course was relatively flat aside from a few small inclines/declines. The temperature was a bit chilly at the start but after the first couple of loops, I was able to drop my thick gloves. The wind did pick up as the day wore on. It would stand me up a bit as pushed back against it. 

Since this was a 5k loop, I opted for stopping by my little aid station that I setup by my car. I grabbed some Gatorade on every lap, and I had a cliff bar round 12 miles and round 22 miles. Honestly, I was never really thirsty during this race. 

My quad is getting better. I could feel it start tighten around 12 miles, and this lasted through about 25 miles. I kept rubbing it with my hand. It never hurt, and possibly, this is just me being overly sensitive to it. That's something I need to work on over the next 5 weeks when I run my next 100 miler. 

For now, I am still icing it after every run. I am also wearing a compression knew sleeve to help with the swelling. It was definitely better than when I ran the Mo Big Butt 50 last month. 

I am back to the trails tomorrow. Soft dirt never hurts.


Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts