Looking back on '21

With only a few days left in '21, time has come to take one last look at '21 before turning the page, and seeing what '22 holds. 

While Covid still has it grip on the world, racing has started to return. I ran more 30 race in '21. I ran more ultras than ever before. 

My season started off with South Mountains 50k which was rough. There was no flat ground there. I ran my first 100k in March at the Mission 100k. Good course but the gear was great. Loved the logo. Jumped in the WWC New South Marathon the first of April. Headed down to the Charleston area for a 50 miler which was close to 55 miles in late April and 50k the first of May. These were my adventures running in the Francis Marion State Park. No real elevation change but plenty of roots and a few snakes along the way. 

In June, I headed for Damascus, Va to run the Dam Yeti 50 miler. This was my first introduction to the world of the Non-Yeti Cult. Jason was all that is advertised. I set a personal 50 mile PR in 6:24. 

July, I headed for Ohio to run the Whispering Grace 100k. This was a little 2 mile loop course which was kind of nice. No worries about aid station, and there were always people to see. 

September started one of my craziest series of race ever. 

I ran 12 races in 10 weeks. I started it with the Yeti 100 where I ran 16:34. A week later, I was back in Charlotte running all six of the Tuckfest races. Two weeks later, I ran 100 miles in the WWC 24 hour Timed Laps event. I have to say that this was really hard. The event starts on Friday night so I was up 12 hours before the race ever started. I ended up being so sleep deprived and tired on the trails. Days passed before I felt normal again.

Two weeks later, I ran Wild Vine 1/2 marathon. I followed this a week or so later with Shot in the Dark 10k on Friday night, and Lake Haigler 12 hours on Saturday night to Sunday where I ran another 56 miles. 

After another two week break, I ran the Unico 100 miler in Wingate, NC. 

Like I said, I was crazy for even attempting this. At the Unico 100 miler, I simply ran out of gas over the last half of the race. 

But I scored some firsts. I ran a point to point ultra, and I ran my first 100k. I broke 17 hours for a 100 mile race. 

Thinking about it now, this may have been one of my best years running ever.

Now, I am on to '22. I cannot wait to see what it holds. 

Cool Down Runner 


Comments

Popular Posts