WWC Frigid 10k & Plunge

For the first time in a few years, the Frigid Plunge back as a post race part of the WWC Frigid Trail race event. As crazy as it sounds, I could not find a good reason not to participate. By participate, I mean take part in both the race and the plunge. 

The race went pretty par for the course. Now, what I am describing is for the 10k course. The 5k runners took a slightly different course. 

We started at the Pavilion, ran some service road, picked up the Carpet Trail, back on the service road, then picked up the North Main around to the Lake Loop.  Then, we did the Lake Loop for just the 10k runners. 

I found the course to be pretty much dry. Aside from the usual muddy spots on Lake Loop, there was nothing that required a true trail shoe. 

We finished down by the deep water pool. Since I was one of the early ones to race, I was also one of those headed for the deep water pool. 

According to reliable sources, the pool water was a balmy 42 degrees. I don't know what I was expecting when I stepped off the edge. I hit the water, and almost immediately, everyone muscle in my body seized up. In what seemed like eternity passed before I could finally "will" my arms and legs to move me toward the ladder.  

I took hold of the ladder and pulled myself up. The water seemed to be trying to pull me back in to the pool. 

Pulling clear of the water, I quickly realized the 30 degree air temperature made the pool water feel warm. 

Exiting the pool area, one of the WWC support staff handed me one of those space blanket. Wrapping myself up in it, I will not say that felt warm but I at least felt better. I didn't feel totally warm until after a 20 minute hot shower. I do mean "HOT" shower. 

I stayed to watch some others take part in the plunge. Most were like me. They jumped in wearing their running cloths. A few went the extra mile of wearing a bathing suits. About 30% took the step off plunge. 30% dove in to the pool which was probably the better technique since their momentum carried them toward the ladder. About 20% took the running jump. The final 10% took the cannon ball method. The cannon ballers were the most entertaining since this sent the Life Guards scampering out of the way of the splashing water. 

With road races still in limited supply, runners came out in abundance for this race. Based on what I heard, nearly 1000 runners participated in the dispersed start. Aside from those either actively racing or taking the plunge, everyone was following the guidelines for masking and physical distancing.

Kudos to the new WWC Race director Mick and his staff for putting on this race, and specially, I am calling out Axle for marking the course. Axle has been marking the WWC courses since last summer, and he goes over the top in putting up arrows to direct runners.   

PS, would I take the plunge again. I don't know at the moment. That water was COLD. Luckily, I have another 360+ days to think about it. But you know how runners are. Once the dust settles, they are ready go back for more. 

Cool Down Runner Adventures. 

Comments

Popular Posts