Disney Marathon is this weekend

2011 wasn't a banner marathon year for me. I started strong early on at Boston but faded late in the race with a cramping hamstring. For the Hatfield and McCoy Marathon, I did a few long runs, tempo runs, and intervals. Thus I thought I could proclaim that I was ready. And maybe I was for everything except the sweltering heat of race morning. Then, I moved to OBX where I literally ran 26.2 miles on one leg while dragging the other leg behind.

Let's just say confidence is not high going into the Disney.

Since OBX, I have done one race which was a disaster and one tempo effort if you could call it a tempo effort. Otherwise, I have just logged miles and waited on my body to come right and feel like running again.

This brings me to this coming Sunday morning. I'll be lacing up my flats and taking the tour of the Disney properties by foot. First, I'll run through the Magic Kingdom. Then, I will make my way through Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Finally, I will finish with a circuit of the world at Epcot. And to think, they don't require me to have a park hopper for it.

What kind of time do I expect? Truthfully, I don't know. Even my easy runs leave me feeling like I am dragging and my hamstring has only recovered about 40% of the strength that it had prior to my injury.

Definitely, I will be taking a conservative approach to the race and will not be chasing hard after Mike.

If I hit the ½ way point in 1:30, I will be very pleased. Then, my focus will become to run 1:29:59 for the 2nd half. Then, I could walk away feeling much better about where my training is going.

Time waits for no man and I have my date with the roads of Disney Sunday morning 5:30 AM.


 

Sharing one thought at a time,


 

The Cool Down Runner


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts