Disney Marathon recovery

After any marathon the body and the mind switch from working hard to being ready for a recovery period. I am not exception. After Disney, my runs were limited to 2 miles Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Thursday, Friday, and today, my runs were 4, 6, and 8. All miles were logged at whatever felt comfortable to my legs.

This is not my normal post marathon recovery. Typically, I will run 6 the day after and jump to 7 miles until the next weekend. I push the miles back up in the teens and pretty much return to normal weekly miles thereafter.

So did this change in recovery strategy work better for me?

In some ways, yes, the recovery did feel much better. Only running a couple miles before calling it a day was really nice. But it was more difficult to judge my recovery because I exchanged running for walking a ton of miles.

After running the marathon Sunday, my daughters and I headed for downtown Disney for some shopping and covered pretty much everything. Monday, we hit 3 different parks. We opened up Hollywood Studios, transitioned to Animal Kingdom during the afternoon, and finished of the evening by closing down the Magic Kingdom. Tuesday, we opened Magic Kingdom and closed down Epcot. Mike posted that he walked about 7+ miles per day. That's a lot of miles.

How many did I walk? I have no idea. I choose not to track them because seeing the actually number might cause me to have a heart attack. All I know is that the end of the day setting down and propping up my feet feels really good.


 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts