Fit 2 Fly 5k Rock Hill Airpoint

 I made the early morning drive to Rockhill for the Fit 2 Fly 5k at the Rockhill airport. Three years prior, I had run this race, and I ran just under 19 minutes. I hope to somewhere close today. 

The race kicked off at 8 am sharp under overcast skies. I felt like I was struggling the first mile. I couldn't see feel smooth at all. My stride just felt choppy. The race stretched out pretty quick, but like most airport races, I had the leaders in my sights the entire way. Albeit I was a good distance back. 

As I remember, this course was down and back on the runway. This time, the course was down on the runway but back on the taxi way. Well, sort, and sort a figure 8 course. About 3 quarters of the way back on the taxi way, we switched back to the runway. 

When we made the turn about a mile and half into the race, a breeze was blowing into my face. A breeze that I hadn't felt on the way. However, on the way back, it felt good, and I started to feel better. 

I picked up the pace over the last mile and finished strong to the end. 

Pretty happy with the result. My legs pretty much don't like running long or fast these days. They just like it when I prod along. 

I ran 19:45, finished 13 OA, and 1st in the 60-69 age group. This scored me a nice little "flying" stuff goodie bag. 

I think we got luck with the overcast skies this morning. For a while after the race, the sun popped out, and let's just say, on the tarmac, it heats up fast. 

If I could have one thing, I wish that this race and the race in Gastonia were on different days. Instead, they split the crowd that likes run these types of events. 

The Cool Down Runner 

Comments

Popular Posts