New South Trail Marathon - One tough mudder

 I was back at the WWC Saturday morning for the what I believe is my 4th New South Marathon. Each course has been a bit different but this year's marathon while the course wasn't the toughest, the trail conditions certainly were. 

The temperature was already 65 degrees at 8 AM, and it was projected to reach 80 by mid day. However, in between, thunderstorms were to roll through. They did and dumped a good amount of rain on the runners and the trail. 

The week leading up the race had been pretty dry, and when I looked at the forecast, the weatherman was calling for 40 to 60 percent chance of rain. I decided to take a chance that when and if it did race, that it would be nominal. I went with my racing flats. 

Most of the first lap was perfect but just little bit warm. I felt good. Coming back toward the parking lot, it started to rain. It was lite at first. I grabbed a new CamelBak and made my way through the start/finish to complete the first lap. The rain was really starting to come down now. It helped with the temperature but it was mudding up the trail. 

Turning off East Main, I was slipping and sliding. The trail was now filling water runoff. My shoes were soaked. Turning on to Academy, the aid station workers told me to look out for the mud. I should have heeded their words better.  Academy, by now had both full and half marathoners running over, and it was a mess. I slowed down. Tried take it easy in the muddiest spots. Some places, I was reduced to just walking up the steep section because I couldn't get any traction. On the downhills, I would dig in to the bank trying to get a foot hold. This worked well until the backside of Academy when I went a little too fast and slipped. I went down hard and ended up sliding down the hill backwards. I was covered in mud. A mile later, I looked down at my knee, and I could see the red blood oozing out over the mud. 

The rain finally stopped but now it was getting warmer. 

After my fall, I just turned it off and took my time getting to the finish. 

The last 8 miles or so were some of the toughest that I have ever encountered while running at the WWC. 

After the race, I took shower. I had cuts on my knee, arm, and my right shoulder. My shoulder is still sore today. I noticed that my calves which typically never get sore really ache today. I assume that it was from my constant attempts to push through the mud only to have it give way. 

I was very pleased to come way with a 4th OA finish in 4 hours 8 minutes and 26 seconds and winning my age group. 

Talking the other runners after the race, everyone was commenting on how difficult the 2nd lap was. It definitely created some very special memory that I doubt anyone running it will ever forget. If they are like me, they will have the scars to prove it. 

The Cool Down Runner 


Comments

Popular Posts