Rainy day long run

 I thought that I would share my adventures from today's run. As usual, I hit the trails, and yes, they were pretty wet and muddy. I did plenty of slipping and sliding. That's what makes it fun. 

Looking at the weather radar, I at least waited until about 8:15 so the rain tailed off in to nothing more than a light drizzle. For the first mile, I was trying to keep my feet dry but this could only last for so long. Then, they were pretty much soaked. 

I have run this particular trail numerous times. Any given day, the stream crossings have nothing more than trickle of a flow of water. Today, with all the rain, they were anything but a trickle. 

I came to first crossing. The water was about 3 feet across. I looked up and down the stream for a better spot to cross but nothing good appeared in sight. I decided that I would just jump it. I backed up and got a running start. I cleared it easily. However, when I landed all that force went up and in to knees. I realized that probably wasn't such a good idea, and I had better not repeat it. 

I came to the second stream crossing. This this time, I decided to pick my way across it by carefully stepping on the rocks. I was little shaking but I made it a cross. A smile came across my face. 

I came to what was likely my last stream crossing. With the confidence from the first two crossings, I thought that I could just skip my way across it while running. Not so fast. 

I hit the first rock just fine. I hit the second rock with absolute precision. I had one rock to go, and I was home free. The moment my foot hit the third rock I knew that I had chosen poorly. When my foot hit the rock, it immediately gave way. Leaving me headed down and floundering to try and stay out of the water. No such luck. My entire back side was now soaked. 

What makes this so funny is that my feet were already soaked. I might as well just waded across. I would not have been any wetter and in this case, I would have been a whole lot dryer. Relatively speaking. 

That's how it rolls on a trails 

The Cool Down Runner 

Comments

Popular Posts