Hot Chocolate 8k @ Albemarle, NC

 After a 3 year hiatus, I was back in Albemarle, NC for the YMCA's Hot Chocolate 8k. They used the same tough course and had the same cold temperature. Perfect! 

While I was a bit slower aka 32:13, I was still managed to run 2nd overall. 

I always enjoy making a trip to Albemarle. I can always count on them to have some interesting races. 

As for my race experience, I settle in behind the leader from the start. He was clearly years younger than me. I pulled even on the first uphill but once we crested the top, he pushed the downhill. By the time that we reached the next hill, I was couldn't pull even. I closed but not enough. Topping over he stretched out his lead again. We went through this yo-yo affect for about 3ish miles. Knowing the course, he clearly had the advantage of me going in to the final miles.

During the 4th mile, he put a little more distance on me. I just couldn't "will" my legs to run any faster. I might have gotten a few meters back on the last steep climb but no where near enough. He had a couple of hundred meters on me. The best I could do just hold the line. Coming to the end, he had about a block and half lead. 

Personally, I enjoyed the chase. It makes the race go by so much faster.

Walking away, I was a bit perplexed by their awards. They seemed to be giving both top 3 and top 10 awards but no age group awards. They were handing them out as we crossed the finish line. Very strange. Maybe this is going to be the year for strange award categories. After all, the WWC has started using some very strange age brackets. 

Now, I am on to looking for some good spring races. Please pass them on to me. I am looking for something different to run

The Cool Down Runner  



Comments

Popular Posts