Adventures & Wishes 5k

 Last Saturday, I checked a box that I have been wanting to do for several years. I have seen a few races at Carowinds but the timing was just never right for me to run. Last weekend, the timing was finally right. 

The morning was a mixture of wind and rain. Rain fell on me before the race and afterwards, but nothing fell during the race. Thank goodness.

Start 2 Finish did a great job with course directions. They had placed cones throughout the race for us to following and ribboned off any place where us runners might go astray. 

The race started just inside the park but quickly exited the park to a side road to take us around back of Carowinds. It felt strange to see old rides as well parts and pieces of attractions. It is the side of the park that us customers are not get to see. 

They turned us through a gate and back in to the park. We entered main park back by Drop Zone. We weaved around and through the water park. We curved around several coasters and rides before exiting the park for a little out and back section. 

The final 1/2 mile lead us back to the park entrance and inside the park.  

I found myself racing around several other runners. This one guy in a yellowish shirt kept pretty much a 10 to 15 yard lead on me throughout the park. 

I was narrowing the gap after we made the U-turn. However, I was thinking that we were going to run our of race before I cover the remaining distance between us. Then, suddenly, I was pulling up beside him, and then I passed him. I made sure to run each of turns as tight as possible. The finish was a weaving through several things. I held him off by 2 seconds. 

I was happy with my 19:33 time, 6 overall place, and got first in my age group.

I really enjoyed the race, and I hope that they have it again next year.

They also gave everyone finishing an "Adventures & Wish" ornament. I have mine hanging on my tree. 

On a side note, I learned that this race came together in just 5 weeks. I am not sure how the got the planning done and pulled this off but it does how much can get done when motivated people are involved. 

Here's hoping your holiday season is going great

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts