30-30 Training Weekend on the Va Creeper Trail - Part 1

 I am not sure how I talked myself in to a 30-30 training weekend, but I did. 

What do I mean by a 30-30 training weekend? 

Well, this means that I run at least 30 miles on Saturday, and then come back out on Sunday to run at least 30 more miles. Yes, it is tiring, and yes, I could have probably found a much better use of my time. However, that would mean having some common sense, and we all know that common sense and running don't always go hand in hand. I have long list of stories that I could share as documented proof.

I am racing on the Va Creeper trail next month so this would be where I would be doing this running weekend. 

The Va Creeper trail is roughly 34+ miles end to end. It runs from just past White Top all the way to nearly downtown Abington, Va. 

I decided to use Damascus, Va as my base of operations. It is conveniently situated half-way. 

Saturday morning, just before 8 AM, I headed east on the trail. My plan was to get the climbing out of the way first, and then enjoy a nice downhill run back to Abington. 

My legs were tired from the start which is what I wanted. I wanted to be climbing with tired legs because that's how they would feel when I am making this climb next month. 

From Damascus to Taylors Valley, the trail was relatively quiet. I only saw an occasional walker or mt. biker. The climb was barely noticeable. Like having a tread mill set on 1% incline. 

From Taylors Valley to Green Cove, the trail ping pongs between a gentle climbing and flatter sections. By the time that I reached Green Cove, I was 14 miles in to the run, and my legs could feel the climb. They were ready to turn around and head back to Damascus. The trail was even quieter in this section. I only recall seeing two couples walking on the trail. 

From Green Cove to White Top, the trail really seemed to kick up in steepness or maybe it was just me feeling the climb more. What I remember is having to work harder in these 3 miles than I felt like I worked in the previous 14 miles. 

The trail also got quite busy. Seems all the bike rental companies make their first drop off around 10ish am. People were flying down the section from White Top to Green Cove. They were riding side by side and sometimes more. And, there were huge groups of them. I was really glad when I hit the top. 

White Top is technically not the end of the trail. It actually goes a bit further past White Top, but seems not many were interested in riding this section. However, I was interested in running it. I wanted to say that I ran to both ends of the Creeper Trail. I got to the end and I guess I expected to see some huge sign saying Creeper Trail starts here, but I didn't see anything. It is came to an end. I was a little disappointed. 

Nothing else to do but turn around and head back to Damascus. I kept to the right as the bike rental companies kept dropping people off. I crossed my fingers that no one ran me over from behind. I got passed a lot between White Top and Taylors Valley. Since trail really starts to flatten out at this point, people actually have to do some peddling over coasting down the mountain. 

I could hear the music from the Wicked Chicken as I entered Damascus. I stopped my watch by the caboose 5 hours and 40 minutes and 37 miles after starting. I was pretty tired but not as bad as I expected. I ate some watermelon, drank some water, and rested for a bit. 

Day one was in the books. Then, I started to think about day two.

But that's for tomorrow's post. 

Cool Down Runner Adventures

Comments

Popular Posts