Score: Runner 0, Trail 2

With today being our company's 4th holiday date, I decided to hit the trails at Crowders Mt. Ok, I meant hit them figuratively not literally. That's not quite how it turned out.

I looked at my clock on the wall this morning, and I took note that it was 7:25. 35 minutes, this is just about the right amount of time to be at the Crowders Mt Sparrow Springs access for the 8 AM opening.

Making the right on to Sparrow Springs Road, I slowed down. The clock in my car said that the time was 8 am. Sure enough, the line of cars were creeping along to enter the park. I fell in line, and I followed them in to the park.

I wanted to 20 miles so I headed off on the Turnback trail up to Pinnacle Rock before descending back to the Ridgeline trail. Then, I turned on my auto pilot and followed the trail down the Kings Mt Recreational Trail.

Given I had just run 31 miles on Wednesday, I thought my legs felt pretty good. The temperature was climbing from the 70s, to the 80s, and in to the low 90s. However, the trip down was offset by the off and on cool breeze blowing in my face.

The return trips always seems to be more climbing. Add on the numerous other factors, my legs were not going to set any land speed records on this day.

Around 6ish miles in to my return trip on the Ridgeline trail, I clipped a rock, and I thought my landing was pretty good. No outwardly signs that I was bleeding. I did notice that my forehead felt a little sensitive. I remember brushing the ground but no blood was visible on my hand. I seemed / hoped that it was nothing more than a little trail rash. Those heal up in just a few days. 

I left the Ridgeline for the Turnback trail, and I thought that I was home free. I had just a little jaunt back to my car. Then, my efforts at social distance bite me. I was swinging wide to give a couple guys space that were climbing up the trail when I clipped another rock. This time the landing wasn't as nice. I tore up my back, hip, elbow, and my knee. Clearly, I didn't stick the landing. The two guys came over to see if I was alright. It was nice of them to do so. I bounced up, and other than the numbness in my arm, I seem to be functioning okay.

So the score was trail 2 and me 0. Falls happen. All anyone can do is shake them off and keep going.

Before wrapping this up, I have one other topic to cover. During my last run here, there were numerous people on the trail. This time, I decided to wear mask during my run. I want our trails to remain open and if wearing a mask helps do this then I am game to do it. (Note, when I am out in public area stores, etc, I wear a face covering.)

So when I was close to others, I pulled my mask up over my nose and mouth. When I was alone, I pulled it down. Now, I didn't wear your normal face mask. Rather, I opted for a neck gaiter. This worked really well. I could catch the elastic edge and easily pull it over my nose. It is still hot and breathing is still difficult but I like that wasn't clamped tight against my face.

The other thing that caught my attention was what others did. I found that when others saw me with my mask pulled up, they would pull their's up. I am not sure that I was inspiring others. More likely, I was  reminding them to cover up. Hey, if seeing me wearing a mask gets others to wear one, I will do it more often. The sooner we slow the spread of this virus, the sooner, we will get back to a life which is closer to normal.

Please wear a face covering and remind your friends and family to do so as well.

The Cool Down Runner






Comments

Popular Posts