S2F Pop-up 5k

A couple of days ago, I opened my inbox, and I was greeted with an email from Start 2 Finish concerning their Pop-up 5k series. I excitedly opened the email and began reading. The email led with the announcement that they had been working with the Shelby health department and were given the go ahead to hold these races. My first thought was this nice. Shelby is short drive from my house, I might just have to jump in to one of these races.

As I continued reading and toward the end of the email, disappointment spread across my face. The Shelby being referenced in the email was not Shelby, NC but Shelby in Tennessee. This email came from what I guess is the Memphis chapter of the S2F company.  Even in this race scarce world, this is a little further than I am willing to drive.

Reading through the email, they really detailed out what was going involved for someone considering one of these races.

First, runners would pick up their packets as they drove in to the parking lot. Honestly, to me this is a keeper of an idea. I have lost count of the races where I have wondered around looking for the packet pickup in a dark race morning. Handing me my packet would be awesome. I know it is not always practical but still just, I like the idea. Also, with the packet, each runner gets a paper face covering. Ok, I understand this. We are living in a pandemic world.

Runners must wear the face covering before and up to the starting line. Once they start the race, they can either wear or discard the face covering in to a trash can. Then, upon finishing they will be required to take another face covering.

During the race, runners are asked to remain socially distance. I realize during race that runners do spread out, but they are also tend to collect in to groups. I know nothing about the course so I know nothing if this is easier or hard to achieve on this course. Hopefully, their goals of racing don't conflict with the need for socially distancing.

In the email, they also stated the runners must stay in or near their car until 15 minutes before the race start. Meaning, either the runners have no warm up or they warm up by running circles around their cars. Let's see. Just how many laps around my Honda would it take to make a mile. Likely, this is more than 10 and less than infinity.

After the race, there would no awards given out. Runners would be given a bottle of water and a prepackaged snack. This is probably something that needs to stay. Those post race buffets of food isn't the most sanitary of options. Then, they would be directed back to the cars and to leave the area. I guess like the start; there is no cool down options either. 

Strangely missing from the race brief was their handling of rest rooms. We all know that runners need bathrooms before a race in the same way that they need the caffeine from coffee. I would guess that they have some plan. May be this was one of the nature race so each runner needs to bring their own TP like those parties with BYOB rules.

I realize that the race director probably had to jump through a million hoops just to make this happen, and the rules laid down were needed to make us all safe. I applied them for their efforts. They are trying. Isn't that all we can ask of anyone.

The Cool Down Runner






Comments

Popular Posts