Volition 1/2 Marathon Recap


Some races just cannot catch a break. Really, what are the chances of a hurricane roaring through the Carolinas on the same weekend as this race for two consecutive years?  Such is the life for the Volition Run ½ and 5k.

Runners were greeted with a steady rain and gusty winds throughout the race morning. If there was one perk, the runners got a tail wind on the mostly downhill out portion of the course. However, they paid dearly for it on the way back. The rain picked up and gusting wind slammed into them like a wall.

A couple of my Hoka/Charlotte Running Club team mates: Caleb and John came up to try their luck. John and I ran together through about 6 miles. He was feeling pretty good considering he just came off the Erie Marathon a couple of weeks ago.  He picked up the pace, and I didn’t want any part of it. This was the first time that I have raced since the Charleston Distance Run on Labor Day week.

I have been attempting to nurse this hamstring back to a healthy status while attempting get ready for the Marshal Marathon in November. As you might expect, my efforts have been less than successful either in the healing process or preparing for the marathon.

This showed today.

I went out easy and then faded toward the end. My last 3 miles were 7:10, 7:08, and 6:59. Finished 7th overall with a time 1:29:13. Good for 2nd in my age group.

I do want to give a shout out to Lisa W. for her second overall finish. She had been sick this week but showed her mental toughness this morning.

And a big kudos go to Whitney and Dennis. Given all the hoops and huddles that they have overcome to make this race happen, they deserve a huge pat on the back for their efforts.

Next up for me is the Big South 5k in a couple of weeks.

See you at the races,

The Cool Down Runner

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts