Big South 5k Recap 8-22-16

Strapped on my racing flats and pulled on my Hoka/Charlotte Running Club jersey Saturday morning for the Big South 5k.

I wish I could set here and say that this was a great race for me, but it wasn’t. My legs felt sluggish, tired, and yes, I will say it “old”.

My Garmin flashed up a 6:09 for the first mile. Any other year, I would have felt like there wasn’t enough oxygen in the world. My legs were turning over but I knew that they were not turning over very fast. My breathing was barely labored.

Further up the hill we went.

Finally, we topped over for the last 1.5 miles to the end.

Making the turn on Rea Rd, my split was 5:59. I could feel the tendentious in my hip calling out to me, and it wasn’t in a good way. As best as I could I ignored my brain’s desire to slow down. Before I knew it, I was turning into the Target Parking lot. One, two, three, four turns, I am headed for the finish. A couple of young runners probably born in this century went by me sprinting all the way to the finish. I wanted to sprint, but I knew better.  In the grand scheme of things, a couple seconds in a race make no difference. Oh, yeah, my last mile was in 5:49.

Since July, I have done little more than log lots easy miles and cross train. May be in a couple more months, I can shake off this tendentious and work my way back to racing well again.

Time is both an ally and an enemy to me.

 

The Cool Down Runner   

Comments

Popular Posts