Pineville 4 Miler

The Pineville 4 miler popped up last year, but due to a conflict on my racing schedule, I couldn't race it. When I started planning out my schedule for August and September, I penciled in this race. 

I am glad that I did. 

I scored the win, and I got some nice RTIC swag for it. 

But I am getting ahead of myself. 

I rolled into the parking lot for the community center, and I have to admit; I was lost. The parking lot was quiet, and I didn't see any event parking signs or tents. I double checked the address and the date, yes, I was in the right place at the right time. 

Since this was a race on the greenway, I realized that I need to make a trek to the starting line area, and as I later learned there were numerous other locations for parking of which I wasn't aware. 

Fast forward, we started to gather at the starting line, and after a few prerace instructions, we were off. Several runners used the downhill start to surge out but then, they started level out on the first hill. I found myself in 2nd overall about 1/2 mile into the race. 

I was trying to gauge my chances of catching the leader. At first, his lead was growing. However, he kept looking back at me which gave me hope. 

Nearing the mile mark, I could see that I was closing. At about a mile and quarter, I caught him.  I put in my best surge possible, and by 2 miles, I had established a small lead. When we passed each other, I put on my best face to look strong even thou, I was dying inside. 

I didn't look back until I got a couple of opportunities near the finish. By then, I didn't see him. By far, this was my best run in recent months. I guess it was fueled by being chased over all the chasing that I have been doing. 

Props to the race crew and S2F. They had their bases covered on this one. Would definitely consider running it again in the future. 


The Cool Down Runner 



Comments

Popular Posts