WWC - Tread Nightly

 This year instead of running the 1/2 marathon distance, I decided to run the 4 miler of the Tread Nightly races. I have been so many long races over the last few years, I found that I miss running these shorter  runs. 

I watched as the 1/2 marathoner rolled off for their race at 7 PM. Darkness was slowly descending over the WWC. A few minutes after their race started, our 4 mile race started. I was carrying two head lamps, and I wasn't taking any chances tonight.  

We headed down the forest road and turned on to the Carpet Trail. I finally decided to switch on my head lamp. Darkness was descending faster under the foliage. I had a couple guys right behind me. I was having trouble shaking them in the twists and turns on the Carpet Trail. I heard my Garmin chime so I knew that I was a mile in to the race. 

Soon, I was back on the South Main trail. There were no more side trails from here to the finish. I just had to following it. I had gapped the guys behind me. The leader was long gone. I crossed under the power lines. I knew had just about a mile left in the race. I felt good. 

Popping out in to the parking lot, I took a quick peek over my shoulder. Then, I turned and headed for the finish. I needed my head lamp now. 

I finished in 32:33 and 2nd overall. My Garmin hit the 4 mile mark a few feet from the finish. 

I give the WWC guys some major kudos. They are doing their best to make create some interesting courses. I have been running there for several hears now. I feel like tried just about every combination possible. Then, they show some me something different. 

Lastly, I will you with this story. After finishing, I was walking back to my car. Runners were coming to finish. Nearly everyone had either some type of head lamp or flashlight. However, I noticed that one runner was running along using his phone for illumination. Most phones are what about 40 lumens. That's not much more than moon light. Kudos to him for making it work. 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts