Yeti 50 Miler Race Recap

The Yeti 50 miler is put on by the Yeti group led by Jason Green on the Virginia Creeper Trail. This was my first experience around this group of ultra trail running crazies. Somehow, I think I sort of fit right in. 

What you see and hear about this group is exactly what they are like in person A bunch of fun loving runners who don't mind getting a little trail dust on their legs. I love it. 

Having spent more time than I care to admit thinking about this race, I hoped that my game plan would prove successful. My training has gone really well, and I thought/hoped that I might run faster than my 7 hours and 47 minute PR for 50 miles. The Virginia Creeper Trail would be an ideal place to do it. 

There is a gentle drop in elevation pretty much until we got to Alvarado. This was followed by a gentle climb to Abington.

Jason give us the "trains don't turn right or left so we shouldn't either" speech. Watching it on Youtube, this speech was funny. Listening to it in person, his speech seemed even funnier. I guess because I was one now needing to follow those directions. 

He dropped his hand, the crowd of runners surged forward. 

Runners were quickly stretching out in front of me. The lure of downhill start was pulling on everyone; it seemed. 

I looked over and realized that Jeanette was running next to me. I said "hi" and wished her a good race. 

My game plan was to run around 8s minute miles through Damascus. It was really hard holding back. Runners were passing me from Green Cove to Taylors Valley. I kept reminding myself. 50 miles is along ways. I am going to need those quads later on. I had to climb from Alarado to Abington twice.

After Taylors Valley, the runners speeding by me slowed to a trickle, and then stopped. The trail continued to level out. On the straightaways, I could see runners in the distance. They were no longer pulling away. 

After Damascus, gravity was no longer our friend. I kept a close eye on my Garmin. I was still bouncing around 8 minute miles. Helping my spirits, those runners in front of were starting to come back to me. I passed several runners between Damascus and Alvarado. 

Shortly after Alvarado, I started the climb to Abington. I was still catching runners. I also found myself counting bridges. Each of the bridges is numbered with 1 being the last one in Abington. Meaning, when I crossed one I was just about done. 

There are numerous open ie. unsharded sections in this part of the course, and I could feel the heat starting to ramp up. I didn't know the temperature exactly, but it wasn't the nice 56 degrees that I felt at Green Cove. 

I passed through the Watauga aid station which is about 3.75 miles from the end of the trail. The trail was also busier in this section. 

I got within sight of the last bridge when this course monitor asked me if I am running 50 or 50 miles. I said 50 miles to which he responded "turn around and run back to Alvarado". That's roughly 10 miles back down the trail. 

That's when it dawned on me. I hadn't met any runners returning. Honestly, I was surprised. I expected to see at least some runners in the 50 miler ahead of me. I turned around and started back down hill. In the back of my mind, I thought "don't screw this up" and "take your time" "stay on pace". 

Back down the trail I went. The next runner that I met was about 3/4 of mile from where I turned around. However, since both the 50kers and 50 milers had the same style of bibs, I had no idea who was running which race. 

The day was definitely getting warmer. I could feel the sun burning on my shoulders. 

Getting to Alvarado felt good. I had roughly 10 miles or so to run. Plus, the aid station workers were awesome with so much enthusiasm. Believe me when I say, hot, tired runners need all of the enthusiasm that we can get.  

Heading back to Abington, I was mixing in with the other 50 milers and 50kers. This helped take my mind off how bad my legs were starting to feel. 

About a mile or so up the trail, I met the next 50 mile runner heading out to Alvarado. I started to do some running math. Yes, it gets harder with each passing mile. I was like to 20ish minutes ahead of him, and I only had 8 miles to his 12 miles. While I was slowing a bit, I liked my chances. This kept me motivated to keep pushing. 

Going by the Watauga aid station, I started calculating what my final time might be. I didn't exactly know where the finish was in relationship to the trail head but I had to assume it wasn't more than a mile or so. 

So I focused my eyes on the trail head, and I kept pushing forward.

The same course monitor was still directing runners. I got the same questions but this time replied 50 miles but 2nd time. He pointed me forward and said "Take to rights the last one by the red phone booth" and follow the signs. 

The last mile or so was on asphalt and concrete. The signs were large and clear. Crossing the train tracks, I could see the Yeti finish line at Wolf Hill Brewery.

I hear Jason call out that the first 50 miler is finishing. I cross the finish line, and he wraps in this huge "bear hug". No scratch that. He wraps me in one huge "Jason Green Yeti hug" 

We snap a few quick pictures, and he hands me my award. 

I slowly make my way over to a chair and set down. Everything from my waist down hurts. I look at my Garmin. I ran 6 hours 27 minutes and 18 seconds for 50 miles. This exceeded my expectations by far. I am still not sure how I did it. 

All I can say is that I doggedly stayed with my game plan. 

Everything that I have heard about the Yeti races is true. Everything is about the experience. Jason leads the way in making it happen, and his enthusiasm permeates everyone involved with the race. Especially the course monitors and aid station workers. They were simply amazing. 

Driving away, I cast a long glance over my shoulder at the Virginia Creeper trail. I will be back running the Yeti 100 miler in 3 and 1/2 months, and the training for it starts the next day. 


Cool Down Runner Adventures  





 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I so enjoy reading all your race recaps. You are one strong and amazing runner. Your daughter has become quite the crew expert! It was a great day and great seeing you out there! Can’t wait to read about your future adventures! Jeannette

Popular Posts