River Jam 10k - June Edition

 My legs could have taken a hard pass on racing last night, but I pushed them out the door anyway. After all, I was only running a 10k not 50 miles. How much could they really hurt. 

Yet, they were still sore and lethargic. Not helping, the temperature was pushing nearly 90 degrees and the humidity felt thick enough that I could have parted it with my hands.  

Thomas opened the course shortly after 5:30 PM, and a small group of us were off. Several guys were from the Belmont Abby XC team or that's what their singlets said. They and Brian were all running the 5k. I seemed to be the only one dumb enough to run twice the distance on a day like this. The Abby guys were soon pulling away on the trail. I caught Brian along the river and passed him. However, he passed me back over by Goat. I wanted to stay with him but realizing he had a mile left while I had 4 miles left, I thought better of it. Lose the battle so I could win the war. 

Turning on Lake Loop, I looked over my shoulder to see who was following. Surprisingly, no one was in in sight. I really need someone to push me in this section. I felt like I was letting up 

Out of the woods, I crossed the parking and followed the arrows back to the finish. I love cruising around the channel. It never seems to get old. 

I crossed the finish line in 46:45. This was less than a minute slower than my time back in May. Setting here thinking about it, I am happy that I was able to do this. To be honest, I should have been letting my lets continue to recover. But, in typically runner fashion, I was trying to run as close to the edge as possible and hope that I don't fall off. 

Cool Down Runner Adventures


Comments

Popular Posts