Wambaw Swamp Stomp 50k Recap

Saturday morning, I was in Cordsville, SC running the Wambaw Swamp Stomp 50k along the Palmetto Trail. I had really enjoyed running on the Palmetto Trail a couple weeks ago during my Cooter Creek race so since I needed a 50k for May and so happens that Chad was putting on this race, the stars aligned. 

Going in to this race I had a rough idea of what the course was like, and I thought that I could run something in the 4 hour range. Two factors weighing on me achieving were the heat and the swamp section. The swamp section is super technical with my only goals to not twist an ankle or fall. 

Prior to the start, Chad gave a quick break down. We would running 15 out and back along the trail. Trails would be marked with orange ribbon. We were to not touch, kiss, or otherwise engage any animals along the course. 

We could, however, stops at one of 3 aid stations which were distributed at roughly 5 mile intervals along the course. 

Lastly, upon returning to the start, 50k runners would proceed down a side road to the rail road tracks, retrieve a rock, and return to finish. This would complete 31 mile course. 

At 7 AM on the dot, we hit the trails. I fell in behind a large group of runners. Everyone was full energy and eager to run. 

Nearly a mile passed before I caught up to the lead runners or what I thought were the lead runners. The chatting picked up, and I learned that one was running the 50k and the other was running the 50 miler. I also learned that one runner had already disappeared up the trail. I felt like I was living some kind of ground hog day where there is always at least one runner setting a fast pace from start. 

The temperature was in the mid 50s, so I felt quite comfortable rolling along. 

The 50 miler guy soon dropped back, and by 5 miles, I was solely in 2nd place. 

My game plan was to set a good but conservative pace. I knew that it was going to get hot and soon. I wanted that little bit of reserve for when the heat came. 

At the 5 mile aid, I made sure that they recorded my number, and headed off on the 2nd 5 mile section. This section was a lot different than 2 weeks ago. The forest service had did a controlled burn of the area. Everything was black. I had to slow down just to make sure that I was on the trail. In a couple of places the embers were still smoldering and smoke filled the air. I could feel my eyes burning as I passed through it. 

Luckily, there was only a mile of this section on the way out. 

At 10ish miles, I passed through the aid station, but the guy manning it was still in his car. I circled to the front of his car, waved, and pointed to my number. I then gave him a thumbs up and headed off on the 3rd 5 mile section to the turn around. 

During this section, I noticed that sun was heating up the world. Sweat was starting to roll down the sides of my face. 

Maybe two miles in to this section, I heard steps. I peeked behind to see another runner coming in behind me. I don't know where he came from. During the last long straight section, no one was insight. Suddenly, here this guy was. 

At this point, I had to assume that he was for real. I offered to let him by but he was happy to just following along. 

We crossed Highway 17, and luckily, without any cars impacting us. 

As we ran this section, I glanced at my Garmin. Assuming the course was a legit 15 miles, the turn around had to be close. Then, I saw the leader coming back. I noted the time as he passed. 

Upon reaching the turn around, I noted the time again. He was roughly 5 minutes up on me. 

I reached back, and squeezed my Camelbak to check my water supply. I made the decision to not stop so after I was sure that they noted my bib number, I headed back. 

I noticed that the guy following me stopped to take on water. Given that he caught up to me on the way out, I assumed that he would do the same going back. He never did. 

The day was getting warmer. 

High stepping through the swamp section was a challenge combined with the fact that I was meeting other runners on their way out. 

On the good side, I knew the way home, and this was making a difference. My miles were bouncing between 7:40 and 8:10 depending on the terrain. 

At 20 miles, I checked my CamelBak again, and I felt that I was good for at least another 5 miles. 

The aid station worker noted my number and told me that the leader was about 2 minutes up on me. Hearing his words, the adrenaline seemed to pour in to my system. 

I was probably running too hard during this section , but I popped out in to an open section of trail, and in distance, I could see the leader climbing a flight of stairs to bridge. This just spurred me along. I could be no further than 30 to 45 seconds behind him.

I hit those same steps taking them two at time. 

Hitting a smooth of trail following the bridge, I found myself running even harder. Within minutes, I pulled up right up behind him. 

We exchanged a few words but looking at this face told me all that I needed to know. He looked like he was suffering. 

I looked back a half mile later, and he was nowhere in sight. 

The rush of catching and passing him was starting to wear off. I realized that I needed to make sure that I finished as well. 

I entered the burn section of the course which put me roughly a mile from the last aid station. The tail was just as hard to read going back as it was coming out. 

I was about 1/2 through when I apparently missed a root. Boom, down I went. Suddenly, I was covered in black soot. Both legs and all down my right side were black. Both hands were black and so was my CamelBak nozzle which I keep on my right side. I tried brushing off soot but it wasn't happening. Mixed with sweat, it was sticking to my skin like glue. 

At the aid station, I washed my hands, cleaned my Camelbak nozzle, and took on some water. I also soaked my hat in cold water. It felt great hitting me head. 

Pulling out of the aid, I glanced off in to the distance. I did not see anyone coming. I had just 6 miles left to run. 

Maybe the miles were starting to add up, and maybe not just the ones from today, I could feel my legs getting heavy. Throw in the fact, the temperature had to be pushing at least 80. I am definitely not ready for warm days. 

I focused on clicking off the miles. Each step and each mile meant that I was closer to the end than the beginning. 

When I pop out of the wood, Chad pointed me down the dirt road toward the train tracks. I could see a red stop sign in the distance but with the heat, the sign seemed to me moving further way.  The road was absolutely straight. 

Reaching the train tracks, I stopped to pick up a rock. Any rock will do but the effort to bend down and pick up is so hard. I grunt from the effort. 

Now, I just need to carry the rock back to the finish and give it to Chad. 

I look back toward the finish, and I can see Chad standing there. Looking at him a half mile away, he looks like he is two millimeters tall. 

There is no shade in this last mile, and the sun is beating down hard. For the first time, I feel the sun's rays burning on my shoulders. 

I crossed the finish line, and I handed Chad my rock. It would be one of many that he would collect from each 50k runner. 

I set down on the ground to rest, and he hands me a cup of cold water. Oh, did it taste good. 

I ran roughly 2:09 for first 15 miles, and then closed out the last 16 miles in 2:06. Negative splitting had been in the back of my mind, but I hadn't thought it possible. 

Finishing first while running 4:15:39 surpassed my goals for the day. I had been worried when that one runner went out so hard, but sticking with a pace that I knew that I could carry to the finish was the key. 

Wrapping up, Chad and his team were awesome. Lots food and drink at the aid stations. They had full meal for the runners after the race. A well marked course. Chad even added ribbons to send me down the right path where I got off track two weeks ago. 

If you are ever interested in some low country events, check out his Eagle Endurance website.  

Just remember, hills are pretty much non-existent. My 50k yesterday had just 250 feet of elevation gain. 


Cool Down Runner Adventures








Comments

Popular Posts