Spring Edition of the Idiot Run

This morning I was off to Albemarle for the spring addition of the Idiot Run. For those of you that don't know, the Uwharrie Running Club has this tradition of running from the Y in Albemarle to the top of Morrow Mt. and back. Typically, they have a spring and fall edition.

I did my first spring run 2 years ago and I kicked off my Myrtle Beach Marathon training with their November run last year. So I guess it is only fitting that I finish off my Myrtle Beach training with another run.

The Idiot Run starts at 5:30 AM but I was already headed to Albemarle by 4AM. I had 24 miles scheduled today so my plan was to put in 4 miles and then run the 20 miles to Morrow Mt. with everyone else.

I was finishing up the first 4 miles when I came around the corner of the Y. Darn, they have already left. Luckily, I was only a few minutes behind and caught up quickly.

The first hour is pretty much in total darkness. Just about the time, we were climbing the mountain; there was just enough light see the road.

We ran the first 10 miles in about 75 minutes. There was some good conversations along the way, but then things got down to business on the way back.

At one point I crested this mile long hill and my Garmin flashed up the split 6:43. My eyes flashed on over to the heart rate – 155 BPM. While I felt tired, the legs felt pretty good. I went on to run uphill miles 21 in 6:23 and 22 in 6:18. With 2 miles left, I felt it was time to shut things down.

The next 2 miles were in 6:41 and 7:10. My heart rate dropped down into the 130s and I felt pretty good. All of this is a very good sign going into my marathon in a few weeks.

I hung out for as long as I could. And I apologize for having to leave early, but I had to get back to Charlotte to pickup my daughters.

If you get a chance, the Idiot Run is well worth the trip to Albemarle.

I have now done it 3 times and hope to return in the future.


 

Tales from the Cool Down Runner.


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts