Pre race meals

Could not sleep anything longer this morning so it is time for more blogging. Maybe the excitement for the OBX is starting to take over. Good thing, the past weeks were spent banking some extra sleep time.

With only hours between me and my big marathon, I have started loading up on extra Carbohydrates.

This had me thinking back to other prerace meals for some of my other big races which lead to me to this story.

For most of my marathons, my body craves loads of pasta and bread in the days leading up to the race. But I remember a few years ago when for the Kiawah Island ½ marathon, my prerace meal consisted of something a little more nontraditional for runners.

I was late getting off work and then drove like crazy down to Kiawah on Friday evening so I could pick up my packet. By the time, I drove to the Island and picked up my packet then drove back Charleston to my hotel, most restaurants were closed.

The only thing near the hotel that was still open was a "Wendy's". I was starving so dipped in for some food. One single – no cheese, 2 biggie fries, and large drink, walking out the door I was feeling pretty good.

Headed back to the hotel and settled in for the night.

Early the next morning I headed back to Kiawah for the ½ and ended up running just over 1:14.

What was the magic in that "Wendy's" food? I wish I knew because to this day I have never been able to duplicate that the feeling that next morning.

But there were a couple of takeaways that I learned.

To paraphrase Lance Armstrong and John Fox, "It is not about the food" and "When it is your day, it is your day"

But it does have me wondering, should I skip my prerace pasta dinner this evening and head to "Wendy's". And because I am running the full marathon tomorrow, maybe I should make it a double or even a triple with 3 biggie fries, and 2 biggie drinks. I could even throw in a frosty for good measure. LOL


 


 

Tales from prerace dinner table.


 

Comments

Popular Posts