Sun sets on the Sundown Series for '22

Sorry, I am little behind with this post. Been busy with work. 

So last Wednesday, I headed down Ann Spring Greenway for last race in the Sundown Series. I have been looking forward to getting back on those trail since the July race. 

77 was all jammed up so I late getting to the park. This meant that I was late pushing off for my warm up miles. Not that anyone needed a warm up. The temperature was well in to the upper 90, and the humidity was insanely thick. 

I finished my warm with 10 minutes to spar so I toweled off, changed shoes, and headed for the starting line. 

Based on the course markings, we were going in the reverse direction from July. 

I looked around. I didn't see either Marcus or Dave. I had followed them through the course during the previous races. I would have to do my orienteering during this race. The Rockhill guys do a great job marking their courses. 

At 6:30 we rolled off from the start. I was pushing hard because I wanted to be first to hit the trail. As we headed down by the lack, I could hear foot steps behind me. We rounded the lake and headed up Timberline trail. 

The heat and humidity made running a struggle. Sweat was rolling off me. My sweating pushed up another level once I hit the technical section of trail. It isn't that the trail has a lot of elevation gain. Yes, there is a little, but it is almost constant flow of roots and rocks and twist and turns. It isn't one of my strengths when it comes to trail running. I just to survive these sections and move on to the better sections. 

I picked up a couple of more trails before popping out on the other side of the lake. From this point onward, the course had an nice wide road to run and a couple tough little hills. My legs grinded up them. 

I was happy to be going by the Cantina and to the finish. 

I was hot, tired, and ready to be finished. 

I happy to win the final race of the series in 32:59. 

After the race, I was looking at my Garmin. I had run just over 4 miles. This was puzzling to me because when I ran the July race; I ran 3.75 miles. I just ran it in the opposite direction. You got me. I don't where the extra 1/4 mile came from. 

Big shout out to the Rockhill for all their efforts with these races. They did an awesome job. I hope to be back next year. 

Best with your running, 

Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts