Killer Creek 50K Recap

A couple of weeks ago, I was surfing the internet when I stumbled over the Killer Creek races. As with most bad ideas, I stewed over it for several days. Then, decided that I wanted to sign-up. They had several races: 7, 25k, & 50k. I really considered running the 25k. After all, I had already checked off my 50k for this month.

But when it came time to check the box on the registration, I went with the 50k. These days’ ultras seem to be more in my wheel house than shorter races.

The week of the race, I went in to full planning mode. I weighed my options for shoes first. Delta blew through Wednesday and Thursday so I wondered about the trails. Could I get away from my racing shoes or would I need something with some tread.

Next, I wondered if I should take my CamelBak or go with my hand-held water bottles. It came down to did I want to carry the extra weight. The 50k would follow 4 x 8 mile per lap course. The temperature was going to start out in the low 40 and only get to maybe 60 all day. I decided to go with the hand-held water bottles. Plus, when I thought about it, I really only need water for 6 miles. I could drink plenty before heading out and I could drink plenty upon completing each lap. In this case, the water bottle just made the most sense.

Flash forward to Saturday morning, I left my house at dark thirty to make the 7:30 start time. I needed my head lamp to walk from the parking lot to the packet pickup area.

After dropping by the rest rooms, I went back to my car to relax, listen to some music, and think about the miles ahead.

A little after 7 AM, I gathered up my gear and gear bag. I headed off to find a place to leave my stuff while I was out on the course.

The race directors had organized the race so we had plenty rooms to spread out. I found myself a nice little spot, and I spread out my stuff.

One of the race directors shared some prerace instructions. Then, we were left to make our final preparations before the start.

In the prerace emails, we had been told that a face mask was required at the start/finish area. It was optional if we wanted to wear one during the race. I was happy to see that most people took this to heart. I only saw two runners not doing this. I just kept my distance. As much as I wanted to say something. It was the race director’s job to enforce this rule not mine.

After so long, it felt strange to be in a race where everyone was starting at the same time. Brad and a couple of other guys took off. 3 other guys and I settled in behind them. I wore my face mask for the better part of the first mile. I pulled it off and stuffed it in my glove for later.

By the time, we crossed the dam, the first three were well ahead of us. About 2 miles in one of the guys in our group pulled ahead, and he disappeared in to the woods. The three of us stayed together. This really helped since none of us were familiar with the course. Having 6 sets of eyes helped to keep us following the blue and white checkered ribbons.

Once we got in to the trails, I was surprised at how dry the trails really were. The leaves were as if no rain had fallen over the last few days. This meant that my decision to wear my racing shoes were going to pay off.

 

The three of us finished off the first lap and headed back out for the second. The conversation helped the miles pass faster.

On the backside of the 2nd lap, I noticed that the two of them were dropping back. I thought for the moment that I had picked up the pace, but then, I dismissed the idea.

 

At the same time, I was catching the back of the 25k field. They started at 8:30 AM. Everyone was nice about it, and we all made room for each other.

 

I felt good coming back to start finish for the 2nd lap. I swapped water bottles, grabbed a snack, and headed out again.

 

By now pretty much only the 50k runners were on the course. I was running alone now. I could feel the temperature climbing. I opted to keep on my gear.  Several sections of trail ran along the lake. The wind was gusting pretty hard in to my face. When it did, I could feel my muscles tighten. This happens when I get tired. In truth, it probably happens other times, but I guess that I tend to notice it more when I am tired.

The 3rd lap was uneventful. I passed a few people but otherwise, I just let the miles churn under my feet. I meet Brad going out on his 4 lap. Man, he was digging it. If I had to guess, I would have to say that he was at least 4 miles ahead of me at this point.

Before heading back out a final time, I grabbed another water bottle and willed my legs to start running again. My legs no longer had the bounce in them that they had for the 1st two laps. I had been in 5th place as far as knew since the 2nd lap.

 

This lap turned out to be just a quiet as the 3rd lap. By now, I was familiar with every root and rock on the course.

I crossed the dam for the final time. The wind hit my tired legs tightening them still further, but I could smell the finish.

I crossed the finish line in 5 hours 5 minutes and 17 seconds. According my Garmin, I had run 32 and half miles. Ok, I guess the 50k was a little long today but whose is counting.

I gladly accepted my medal and headed back to where I had laid out my gear. Then, I hear someone calling my name. One of the race directors came up and attempting to had me a trophy. At that moment, I was really confused. By my count, I was 5 overall or at least I believed so. They were only doing awards for the top 3. Then, he told me that one guy had dropped out and apparently somewhere on the course I had passed the other guy. I did pass a lot people but I don’t recall any of them looking like the guys in front of me at the start. But who am I to argue. I accepted the award and thanked them.

These guys did put on a good race. I felt safe before, during, and afterward. They should take a well-deserved bow. It could not have been easy to get this race on the calendar and successfully pull it off. I would definitely run another of their races.

PS, the overall awards were awesome. I have never received another award like it.

 

The Cool Down Runner

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts