Virtual River Jam Race 10k Recap

This evening, I ran my first virtual race, and probably not my last virtual race.

After 8 weeks, I needed to feel at least a little of a race effort. Even if my only other competitors were me, myself, and I. I am sure you already know this but they are tough competitors. They ran lock step with me over the entire distance. Try as I might, I could not shake any of them. We crossed the finish line side by side - socially distance of course.

Last week, I got an email from the WWC. They were holding the first two races of their River Jam series as virtual races. The July race was not listed as virtual so maybe they are holding out hope that this would be a "hard" event vs a "virtual" one. I hope so.

Their virtual races are a little different from most virtual races. To participate, runners must do one of the River Jam 5k or 10k courses at the WWC within a given set of dates. Then, send the gpx file to the race director as confirmation of their effort. They marked the course as they typically do, and they hoisted two flags for the start finish line. Having done this course for many years now, I had no trouble following the arrows.

Running a solo race is nowhere near as much fun as running with others. The anticipation of the start was missing. The adrenaline rush of the surging from the starting line was not quite the same. The only one breathing hard as I rounded the channel was me.

Entering the trail, I will admit was quite a bit easier. No one was there to jockey with for position. I could run where I needed to run.

I bounced along the river for a couple of miles before running by the Weigh Station. Only couple of hikers were on the trail. I entered the Lake Loop, and the thought popped in to my head that I had promised myself to not do the 10k races this year. This was just another New Year's resolution that is slowing going by the wayside.

After enjoying the last couple of weeks with ideal temperatures, today, I was sweating more than normal. I could feel a little burn in the quads and my breathing felt a little more labored than I expected.  Otherwise, this run was going about as I expected.

I exited the woods, crossed the parking lot, and climbed the final hill before making my push to those finish line flags.

To those only lookers, I must have looked strange. Seeing a skinny, bearded man with arms pumping run so hard for no apparent reason. 

I stopped my Garmin at 48 minutes and 31 seconds. This was better than expected but slower than I wanted. You know how it is.

If you have not signed up, I recommend jumping in one of their races. We all have to do our part to help others until we all get past this virus world that is our new normal.

The Cool Down Runner






Comments

Popular Posts