WWC Labor Day 15K Trail race recap


Today’s WWC Labor Day 15K race found some favorable weather conditions for runners, but it didn’t end without some controversy.

As we waited on the start, I was talking to a couple of runners from Greenville, SC. They had a big race coming up in a few weeks, and they were using this race as a tune up. One of the guys asked me about the course, and I gave him a quick breakdown. Then, I asked where he had been training which was at Parrish Mt. I told him that he wouldn’t find any hills here that matched up to the trail on Parrish Mt. but the trails here would roll him to do death.

We took off around channel and entered the North Main trail. One of those guys was gone. I settled in to 3rd place, and I began to open some distance on the guys behind me.

Coming down the Wedge, I heard the volunteers at the aid station talking with the leaders and guessed that they were about ½ mile or more ahead me.

I turned on the Lake Loop for the final section of the 15K. I know this trail well and could likely run it in the dark. At this point, I knew 2 runners ahead of me, and I couldn’t see anyone off to my right as I started these last 3 miles.

Rounding by the lake, I noticed one of the signs turned a bit straight up or say slightly to the left, but I didn’t think much about it. Like I said, I know this loop like the back of my hand.

I round the small lakes and did the back mile. Coming back by the lake, I suddenly see 2 guys coming at me which totally confused me. I thought that they were to the two leaders. I didn’t take notice of their faces just to two runners coming at me.

One asked me which way, and I indicated straight ahead, and to follow me.

I think that they were still confused but they did follow.

I came out the woods, and I saw another guy in front of me. I passed him as we went back in to the North Main trail behind the pavilion.

He was telling me that he was lost and had missed part of the course. I told him that I was headed toward the finish and to stay close.

I finished in 1:11:55, and according to the results, I finished 2nd overall and first in my age group.

After the race, I got the scoop on what happen. Apparently, these guys both in front and behind me took the arrow to literally. Instead of going around the lakes to the right as is normal, they went to the left. Both leader and 2nd place skipped the back mile so did several out runners.

They all self-reported ended up being DQ which was the right thing to do. However, I don’t think any of them was too happy about it. I totally understand their perspective. I have been put in the same situation a few times on a trail. Although, I have not been in this exact situation. In my experiences, I always back tracked to the point where I got off and went the other direction. The guy that had lead most of the race asked me if I was would have caught him, and I would not have. He would have had to slow to a walk before I could have caught by the finish.

Our markings conversations continued for quite some time. Another runner brought up the fact that WWC often has different color arrows directing runners along courses. He found the arrows confusing. This is something that I don’t understand. Before every race that I have run at the WWC, they tell us which color arrows to follow. Yes, runners will often see different color arrows along the course but they should follow the color that they are told.

By and large, the WWC does a pretty good job marking their trails. At the end of the day, we are still talking about a trail and no markings are totally perfect. The onus is still on the runner to pay attention to the course markings, and if you deviate from the designate course, return to the point of deviation to continue to course. If you end up cutting the course, then, a you should self-report.

Trail Dust tails.

The Cool Down Runner





Comments

Popular Posts