Sharkbite Handicap 4.44 6.26.08

The Sharkbite Thursday night run was a handicap run this week. I thought this might be interesting run. I hadn't run a handicap run in probably 20 years.

I remember that run vividly. I was about 20 years old and running 34 minute 10ks. In those days the handicap runs was age graded so they gave me something like a 5 minute head start head. I thought was kind of funny at the time. I think I ended up second to a 12 year girl.

The Sharkbite handicap run was not age graded but it was time graded. They basically subtracted everyones time from 1 hour. When the clock hit your handicap time, you started the race. The assumption being that everyone should finish in 1 hour.

Since I am taking some downtime now, I wasn't running hard. As a warm-up I did the course before hand and felt terrible. I guess I shouldn't have had that massage before hand.

Brad Popples started about 45 seconds behind me. I hadn't gone more than 1/2 mile when he passed me. From the point, I never saw any runners.

It was the first time that I ever finished last. I hadn't expected it to happen for at least a few more years. However, it was different than I expected. Everyone cheered and clapped when I finished. It was kind of nice.

Comments

Popular Posts